The following facts and figures are from www.brightfocus.org :
- Every 68 seconds, someone in America develops Alzheimer’s.
- Worldwide, nearly 44 million people are believed to be living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias.
- More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death across all ages in the United States. For those 65 and older, it is the fifth-leading cause of death.
- It is estimated that nearly 500,000 new cases of Alzheimer’s disease will be diagnosed this year.
- Total payments for health care, long-term care, and hospice for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias are projected to increase from $200 billion in 2012 to $1.1 trillion in 2050 (in 2012 dollars).
Alzheimer’s disease is incredibly dangerous. It not only affects the patient, it also affects their friends and families, robbing them of their loved ones before they are physically lost. Bike4Alz encourages everyone to educate themselves on the symptoms and effects of the disease by visiting the Brightfocus Foundation’s website, www.brightfocus.org