The following facts and figures are from Alz.org:
- Alzheimer’s is the 6th deadliest disease in the U.S., and the only disease in the top 10 with no true treatment or cure.
- Every 68 seconds, someone develops Alzheimer’s disease.
- An estimated 5.4 million people have Alzheimer’s disease.
- There are nearly 15 million unpaid care givers.
- Alzheimer’s medical costs are reaching nearly $200 billion.
For more Alz facts, visit the Alzheimer’s Association’s 2011 Report.
Alzheimer’s disease is incredibly dangerous. It not only affects the patient, it also affects their friends and families, robbing them of their loved ones before they are physically lost. Bike4Alz encourages everyone to educate themselves on the symptoms and effects of the disease by visiting the Alzheimer’s Association’s website, Alz.org.